Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Flyting and "Shakespeare is Dirty"?

Flyting. Fun. My story:

ME: "That is so stupid!"
HER: "I'm not stupid!"
ME: "I didn't say you were, your actions are!"
HER: "My actions define me!"
ME: "Dammit, don't be an idiot..."
HER: "Quit calling me names!"
ME: "But you're being such a bitch, and I haven't done anything!"
HER: "You ASSHOLE!"
ME: "But you're being a bitch...I..."
HER: "Jerk! What is wrong with you? You are being such an asshole!"
ME: "What happened to no name calling?"
HER: "Your being an asshole, you deserve it!"
ME: "Just...just...you're being a bitch! You are such a jerk, what did I do?"
HER: "You are being horrible! All day, such an asshole, such a jerk, well now I'm mad! I'm mad Luke! I'm mad!"
ME: (busts out laughing uncontrollably) "You're mad?" (laughing harder) "Thanks for letting me know." (snicker)
HER: "But...I'm mad...don't joke..." (giggling) "I'm just so..." (more giggling) "...mad at you, you asshole...stop laughing..." (giggle)
ME: (mock offended) "I'm not an asshole!"
HER: (still giggling) "Yes you are, you asshole!"

Yeah, it ended well. This happened a while ago.

As to Dr. Sexson's mention of Shakespearean insults, I have two comments:
1) My girlfriend bought me "Shakespearean Insult Gum." So awesome. Gum and Shakespearean insults go together surprisingly and hilariously well.
2) I have a copy of a wonderful book, Filthy Shakespeare by Pauline Kiernan, that is full of sexual puns found in Shakespeare's plays. It will give you a very descriptive idea of what was meant when Dr. Sexson said Shakespeare could be "obscene."

No comments:

Post a Comment