Monday, March 2, 2009

Love--Part 3

Comments on class:

Since obscene actions happen less and less off stage, can we change the B to an N?

"Love is not having what you desire," or something similar was said today. Socrates said that love was desire, and desire doesn't exist when you have what you want. Love is far from just desire. Lust is desire. But not love. I'm not saying that desire can't lead to and be a part of love, but it is far from all of it, far from the most important part. Desire can certainly be an aspect. I desire my girlfriend. Most of you probably instantly took that as in a physical sense, and that is part of it. She's pretty, what can I say :) But that isn't what I want most. I desire her mind. The thought-provoking conversations are wonderful. Talking about the big things and sharing our thoughts. I desire her sense of humor, and her really lame jokes. And her smiles, I desire those mroe than almost anything. Thing is, I have everything I desire, but I love her more than ever. I'm going to straight up say what I know a few of you want to: Socrates was wrong!

As to Dr. Sexson's revelation that people weren't really fused initially, and then split to find their other half, I have this to say: I had the scars from this separation, right up there in my mind and my heart, till I found the matching ones. Aristophones was dead right. Just because the fusions wasn't literal doesn't mean Aristophones' lovely little fable isn't true in the less physical realm. I sure feel it is.

It was so sad that only one person got to explain that they had seen someone beautiful. I had such a happy answer picked out!

No comments:

Post a Comment